Merger Control – advisory, clearances & authorisations
We have advised on numerous complex merger proposals involving both vertical and horizontal arrangements, and informal merger notifications and submissions. Analysing the likely competitive effects of proposed mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, we advise on appropriate strategies to successfully complete or challenge the proposal. Where appropriate we also brief the Commerce Commission, or prepare applications for clearance or authorisation.
- Tennex’s application for clearance to acquire San-i-pak’s medical and quarantine waste business (a “2 to 1” merger).
- The Hirepool / Hirequip clearance (2013) to merge the 2 main national hire companies.
- The CSR / Brickworks clearance (2012) in brick supply (a “3 to 2” merger).
- Shell’s clearance to acquire Exxon Mobil’s aerostop business (a “3 to 2” merger).
- Cavalier Corporation/Norman Ellison Carpets’ clearance to form a joint venture for carpet manufacture and supply (a “3 to 2” merger).
- Southern Cross Health Trust/QE Health’s clearance to form a private hospital joint venture in Rotorua (a “2 to 1” merger).
- Medichem Waste’s sale of two businesses to Transpacific Industries (including a “2 to 1” merger), both of which were cleared.
- Rivermill Bakeries’ sale to Goodman Fielder (a “3 to 2” merger) which was cleared.
- AP Møller-Maersk’s acquisition of P&O Nedlloyd, merging the number 1 and 4 players.
Our awards include Competition Legal Team of the Year – New Zealand (Corporate LiveWire Legal Awards, 2015) and Competition Law Firm of the Year – New Zealand (Corporate LiveWire M&A Awards, 2015).